Monday, October 3, 2011

Yet another 5K

My bestest running friend and I just keep talking each other into running one more race.......addicted? I don't think so, but who knows.....Kristin's kids go to North Davis Prep Academy and they were doing a one mile fun run for the kids and a 5K for everyone who thought that sounded fun. So we signed up our families to run with us this time. Seth and Kenz did the one mile run, and Blake wanted to do the 5K with us.
Seth and Kenz did great. I went and bought them both brand new shoes since they have been wearing flip-flops all summer and their shoes no longer fit. Seth's face in this picture shows just how fun running really is!!!
Go Pup....you're almost to the finish line!
After the kids all finished the 1 mile fun run, the 5K started. Do we look ready or what?!? Kristin and I like to find a cozy spot at the back of the pack to start. Blake on the other hand turned around and looked at us like, "Why are we back here?" He slowly started walking through the crowd towards the front and when the horn blew, he darted right and left through the crowd of runners like a crazy rabbit! Needless to say, after the first 5 seconds of any race, we NEVER see him again.
He found a little guy about his size and stuck next to him and decided he was the guy to beat. Blake said they went back and forth until the finish line was in sight.
Running down the home stretch.....Blake in the lead by a step or two.....
Blake giving the cheering section high 5's as he speeds to the end....still making sure to be a few steps ahead....
meanwhile, back in the pack we are slogging (slow jogging) along.....
....and Blake finishes a step or two ahead of his little pace setter! Way to go Buddy! Ya, we are still running, but seriously wondering if the race makers measured the distance correctly. We run this park many a morning, and it seems waaaaaaaaaay longer than normal with their added twists and turns.With the finish line near, Blake is already re-hydrating and breathing easy on the side-lines waiting to give us a high 5. Where am I you ask? Well, I lost the mind game on this one and am a few steps back.....just keep waiting. ;)

2 comments:

Tanner and Kristin said...

You are a TRUE friend to run in my girls' school 5k. Seriously. Who does that? Besides you? Only you. You're the bestest slogging buddy EVA!

Sarah said...

Way to go! I used to run 5K's before my breathing went bad!