Wednesday, October 5, 2011

St. George ~ Girl's Trip

This September McKenzie, Brooke and I went to St. George for a "Girls Only Trip". Brooke we soooooo excited and kept asking me "How much longer 'til our field trip?". I was a little worried about her on the 5 hour drive but she pulled it off like a champ (thanks to dad's ipad).We left after church on Sunday and got to St. George about dinner time. It rained almost the entire drive. We met up with Grams and Pa, Tara and Darren, and Justin then ate at Olive Garden (a very memorable experience....due to bad service and continual errors, we left with enough food for lunch the next day). We hit the swimming pool for a night time swim then got ready for bed and watched Grease with Tara and Grams. We woke up the next morning and swam some more. Kenz and I had the pool to ourselves at one point. We could have spent the entire day floating on our backs without a care in the world.....just watching the clouds go by.
The main reason we all went do was to watch the nightly shows at the Tuacahn theater. So the mornings were mostly unplanned and laid back. The first day some went shopping at the outlets....but we quickly said "Noooooo Thanks", and found another place to go swimming.

The hot tub talk had been of a place called Sand Hollow. It is known for it's crystal clear water and beautiful red sand beaches. Apparently it is also infected with Swimmer's Itch. There was a huge, fluorescent sign that read if you wanted more information to ask at the pay station. Swimmer's Itch is an irritating rash caused by the human body's allergic reaction to a free swimming parasite found it shallow water. Anyone who swims or wades in water that has been infected is at risk....Risk, Tisk.....we wanted to swim, and swim we did.

Kenz and I had a bit of a hard time getting over what we just learned about this cool looking lake.So we walked the shores and found seashells, dead baby fish, and pretty dragon flies while our new knowledge of the impending Swimmer's Itch set in.
Brooke on the other hand obviously did not understand or care about the possibility of breaking out in an itchy rash.The water was AMAZINGLY clear. I was waist deep in water when this picture was taken and you can clearly see sticks and the tan sand nestled in the waves of red sand on the bottom of the lake. Both Kenz and I decided it was cool for the most part, but super freaky once you got out too deep. I don't want to see what may or may not be on the bottom of the lake or what may or may not be too close to me.The girls had fun building red sand castles.Brooke really did a good job. She got super fancy with the use of seashell, rocks, sticks, and leaves. I had to but a stop to it when she asked if she could use the dead fish!Wonder which of us will end up with the itch?!?!?Uncle Justin, Kenz, and Brooke walking cautiously to the showers in hopes of rinsing off the parasites.
And of course I had to drive the car over to pick them up. When we got to the showers, you had to pay for the water to come out....bummer. We had no cash so we had to brush the red sand off our knees and toes and think about the impending itch for the next 30 minutes as we drove back to the hotel.

Once there, what did we do? Went swimming again of course! I'm pretty sure the girls and I could live in the water. Perhaps that is why we were so excited to go see Little Mermaid that night at Tuacahn. (We were also hoping the chlorine would kill any possible parasites.)/span>
We ate a yummy turkey dinner made by Grams. Each time we used the oven the smoke alarms would sound....and not because our food was burnt. It was almost as if hot air set it off. So the girl where given the task to keep the air away from the alarm. After dinner we headed for Tuacahn.The girls chose frozen lemonade for a treat and then we found our seats. The entire experience was beyond belief. I have never seen such a well done performance!!! Brooke's favorite part was the star fish that did a cartwheel. Kenz and I turned the radio up and sang all the way home.
The next day was woke up to a yummy breakfast and headed to Zions.
After spending what seemed like 2 hours parking the cars it was time for lunch (Mom, did you ever get a good picture of that guy with the FHE flyer in his front pocket?!?!?!). We then spent another good chunk of time figuring out where to catch the tour bus. Poor Kyler had had enough. He didn't want anything to do with any of us so he crawled 5-6 feet away, parked himself in front of this nasty no smoking sign and began gnawing on a stick. He was perfectly happy and people thought he was a hoot.
After eating an ice-cream cone,we got on the bus and headed through Zion National Park.

We got out here and there for a little hike or two. Going up.... The weeping wall...
Breanne and Brooke loved the bus ride.....especially not having to wear seat belts.

Pa and Brooke filling up their water bottles (too much hiking THROUGH THE SOUVENIR SHOPS can make you quite thirsty).
I have not been to St. George since I was in college. I had forgotten how desert like it truly is. I simply LOVED the landscaping there. I called John and told him we needed to buy a winter home just so I could try my hand at true zero-scaping. I think it would be sooooo fun to put in a yard down there.
After Zions we were going to go back and swim. Darren decided he didn't really want to go to Grease, so Kenzie and I went with Tara while Darren, Breanne and Brooke went swimming. It was a hard decision for Kenz and I. We were really looking forward to another night time swim. But in the end we had a lot of fun.....just us girls.
Cheese
The last morning we woke up and ate another yummy breakfast....at least they did (I went and earned myself some shin splints on the treadmill).
And we ended a super fun trip by swimming for a few more hours before jumping back in the car for the 5 hour drive.
Kenz and I practiced a little synchronized swimming routine and performed it for Grams. Kenz was a little shy about it but I MADE her goof with me. :)
We LOVED this waterfall that was in the pool.
In Brooke's own words, "This was the funnest field trip EVER!"
We can't wait to do it again soon.

2 comments:

Tanner and Kristin said...

So fun! Love all of your pictures. So, I know where this really cool building lot in St. George is. You could build your dream winter home AND landscape it. I'm sure the landowner would give you a killer deal ;).

Tara said...

Loved the re-cap of the trip! Heck I should just of your picts and put them in my scrapbook! It sure was a fun trip!