Monday, August 16, 2010

Killed Two Birds with One Stone...#8 and #10

Ahhhhh. One of our favorite places to be.....the cabin. The kids love everything about it. The sandbox...
the four-wheeler rides....
the big toy, complete with a slide, swings, and a clubhouse.
This picture says it all. Blake LOVES to drive the four-wheelers. He drives and drives and drives until his little thumb can't push the gas any longer. After a short break, he will come and literally beg to go for another ride.
His favorite spot to ride is to the beaver ponds. This year he has perfected the art of rock skipping. He would stay at the ponds all day just trying to break his own record. I believe he is currently at 6 skips.
A fun picture I took while the kids were playing at the beaver ponds. There are so many beautiful flowers in the Uintah Mountains.
John and Karissa. When this picture was taken she was no quite walking, so to put her down was a nightmare. She would crawl around in the dirt and get as close as she could to the water. She loves to throw rocks into the pond. She has an amazingly good throw. A few Sundays ago she hit a deacon passing the sacrament right in the stomach with a Ritz cracker from two rows back!!! We'll be sure to sign her up for baseball in a few years.
I had to take this picture. Why you ask? Because it is one of my boys' favorite insects. This particular day there were many flying down by the ponds and Seth matter-of-factly told me that dragon flies can stick together and fly around. When I questioned him, the other kids were all quick to confirm that indeed, dragon flies are "hooked" together all the time. I just laughed and said, "Since you guys like to catch them, it's probably a good thing".
Another reason we love the cabin....the snow cone machine!
Oh-oh, Blake again??? Nope, this year about half way through are cabin stay Seth decided he would like to try his thumb on the throttle. After he gave it a try, there was no stopping him. Being two years younger, his thumb gives out quicker than Blake's, but he sure loves to ride.
While on one of our rides we notice some HUGE bones just off the road aways over in the forest. We quickly turned the machines around to go investigate. WOW! To our amazement we found the larger portion of would seems to have been on elk or moose. The backbone was all intact clear down to the hip bone. We found two legs and some ribs. FrEakY!!! The boys wanted to take it back to the cabin to add it to Uncle Justin's bone collection. So we went back and got some big garbage bags to bring our dead friend to the cabin.
The boys kept asking, "What do you think it was?" I was MUCH more concerned about WHAT do you think killed it and ate it?!?!?! Good thing we practiced shooting my BB gun just a few days before. We might be needing it for self-defense.
There are only two four-wheelers at the cabin so in order for us all to go for a ride we really have to pile on. Karissa has fun turning around and waving hello to the people on the other four-wheeler.
Moose Lane? This trip indeed it was. We saw four moose on this single trip down to the ponds.
Eat your heart out Yellowstone!!!Kenzie is doing the motions to our favorite chant while trying to spot deer, "Two big brown ears and a little white tale".
More wild-life. I never take pictures of animals (without people in the photo) because I think it is boring. But after spending time in Yellowstone and not seeing much, I just had to prove a point. :)
Blake just chilling on top of the woodpile waiting for the next available parent to take him for a spin on the four-wheelers.
Looks like it won't be me! I'm too busy relaxing in the hammock and reading a book....John I guess it's your turn.
Oh good. We talked them into relaxing a bit too.
Pup swinging on the horsey swing.
Yee-haaa! Giddy up horsey.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That looks like some fun place! Do you take reservations?

Tanner and Kristin said...

Such cute pictures. I'm still giggling about the dragonflies being "hooked" together!

Sarah said...

You are trying to lure me in for a visit, right? Working.

The Smith's said...

Fun pictures- There is nothing like the cabin for a getaway- great memories!