One 3 Year Old + 5 Pair of Scissors = A New Hair Do
Just before Brooke's 3rd birthday I decided to trim her hair for the first time EVER. I just wanted to straighten out the back, cut off the baby fine tips, and give her a few wispy bangs. Ya, well I got what I wanted and a whole lot more. She has NEVER thought of cutting her own hair until I evidently showed her how (by example). It hadn't been 3 days since I trimmed her hair that she spread out a blanket in the living room, gathered 5 pair of scissors, and apparently finished what she thought I started. I just happened to notice that her hair looked "uneven". Thinking that I was responsible, I gave it a few flips, brushed my fingers through it several times, and realized that something was not right. I asked her if she had cut her hair and she simply and innocently said, "yes". I was frazzled, but luckily she had not taken a whole swath out of any one place. She did an okay job of layering her entire left side. I discovered that I could easily cover it up (as was in her birthday pics). I told her to never let that happen again and confiscated ALL scissors in our home. HOWEVER, this did not stop her. While at a friends house a week later, the kids were playing in the toy room while the adults visited. Blake came running in and said Brooke's cutting her hair! I jumped up, ran into the toy room, and sure enough, she was at it again. Not the nice layers from the week before, but a clean chop above the ear, and a few other random snips. NICE! This picture was taken after we came home the night of the FREE haircut.
The next day I took her to a place called Cookie Cutters....haircuts for kids. Why? Because I thought they surely see this all the time and are asked to "fix or salvage" what they can. The first thing the hair stylist says is, "Oh, we don't cut our own hair, if you do it will turn green!" That my friends was my warning and I should have turned and left. But I didn't. I sat down with Brooke in my lap, tears streaming down her face, and watched the hair stylist do absolutely NOTHING. She snipped here, cut there, I pointed out where she had mixed and what wasn't even, paid her $20.00 and left with a stupid balloon tied to a cookie cutter no less. Very cute, but my daughters hair was not. So I drove home, upset that I had just waisted my money and frustrated that Brooke still looked funny.
Poor thing was surely wondering when her hair was going to start turning green as the idiot kept pretending to cut her hair!
After getting home (and noticing that a two inch long piece of hair on each side had TOTALLY been missed) I got out my scissors, and finished what I'd started a week and a half before. Well, Brooke's hair did not turn green (amazingly enough), she has a lot of bangs, and she does have a much shorted hair do now.
She has gotten a lot of compliments and she does look quite cute. PS- Let's all use Cookie Cutters for what they are intended to do....cut dough.
1 comment:
That's hilarious! For me, I'm sure not for you! Her hair does look cute, good job covering up :)
Post a Comment