Thursday, December 8, 2011

One Year Wiser...

After running my first 5k in June, I saw that Las Vegas had a 1/2 Marathon....and on my birthday.  I thought it sounded so fun to run the strip at night.  So I talked two of my good friends into signing up with me.  We all thought it would be fun to take our hubbies and also make a mini vacation out of it.  Long story short, I got killer shin splints in September and have been trying to train while nursing them.  Fast forward to the night before we were to leave, all 5 kids buckled in the car and me carrying the last load down the garage stairs and out to the car.  Next thing I know I am on all fours crawling and cry/yelling in pain.  Yep, I missed the last step and crushed the treat I'd made for my brother-in-law......and was quite sure my 1/2 marathon dream along with it.  John rushed inside for an ice pack and off we went trying to pretend it didn't really happen.  With my left toe completely numb, my left knee bruised and swollen, and my right ankle twisted, I still went shopping for a new shirt to run the race in.  Still hoping against all odds that it wasn't as bad as it seemed, we headed for Vegas the next morning.  After much debate, I decided that I was going to run this race NO MATTER WHAT.  I taped my ankle and put on the ankle brace that my sister happen to have from her high school basketball days.  I tried running around in my room and still couldn't decide if it was smart to go ahead or not.  Upon trying to shove my braced foot/ankle into my running shoes I knew that it just wasn't in the cards for me.  There was a Kenny Rogers' song we used to sing as kids when we went camping called "The Gambler" (our mom did make us change a few words in our version).  The chorus to this song came to my mind several times:
You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done
Needless to say, my birthday was an emotional one.  There will be more goals set and races ran.  For me, this one just wasn't meant to be.  In the end, it was also a memorable, fun vacation.  Thanks Cornells and Miles for the laughs, sodas, people watching, M&M eating, interesting dinner establishments/experiences, and taking turns squishing in the back seat.  Let's do it again soon!

5 comments:

dtbjacobson said...

ohhhh.. that mad me soo sad :-( I feel so bad you didn't get to run. I'd love to say I'd run it with you next year... but i've got a lot more ailments than a bum ankle.. but hey if I train now maybe eh?!? Your the best sister and I love you

Diann said...

Me to Tara!!! Maybe we could bring up the rear!! Alisa, you are AWESOME in everything you do!! Look at all that you have accomplished! I, too am so sorry that you weren't able to run, but look how good that you have done!! We are going to nurse you back to health and then, you never know. Maybe the NEW YORK MARATHON!!! I for sure will be there to cheer you on!! YOUR THE BEST!! Just remember who Loves Ya!!

Tanner and Kristin said...

It'll happen....we just gotta give those shins some time. A weekend we'll never forget, right?! I love your determination (on the verge of stubborness most days ;) and your dedication. You're amazing - and give me a lot to look up to. So grateful to have you as my forever slogging buddy!

Heather said...

Happy (late) Birthday, Alisa! It really stinks that your first half marathon experience turned out to be a bust- but at least you got a nice mini vacation. I'm hoping to run the Top of Utah Marathon in September 2014- want to do it with me? (I know, it's a ways off, but I'm still having children right now and training is impossible- but that's my 40th birthday year and our 10th anniversary so I figured it was a good goal!)

Love you!

John and Alisa said...

Sounds good Heather!!!