Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Eve - Adults Only Party

Traditionally we go over to my mom and dad's house to celebrate both my mom's birthday and New Year's Eve. The more kids (both mine and nieces and nephews) that attend this party the less enticing it seems to be. So as the 31st got closer and closer this year, and people started making party plans, I decided John and I would attend whichever party was "WITHOUT KIDS". At first I had a titch of guilt, but then I started thinking, "ever single holiday all year long I devout 100% of the anticipation, 100% of the decorating, 100% of the festivities, and 100% of the photos taken to the kiddos". Of all holidays, this one is the perfect night to make "Adults Only". After all, kids just get cranky after about 10:00, if they don't fall asleep and miss it all anyway, they force themselves to stay awake and are hyped up from a weeks worth of sugar. Then on the way home from the party, they fall asleep in the car and the get all cranky when you have to transport them to their beds. Sooooooooo, with my desire made known, my good friends were the ones to grant my wish by agreeing to party without our kids. We bought the kids lots of noise makers, each chose a can of silly spray, we set out lots of treats, and rented 5 Redbox movies. With sprite and root beer ready in their plastic champagne glasses and PJ's on, we wished them a good night, and off we went to be kid free. We had lots of good food (too much for just the six of us) and plenty of soda and Sonic ice. We talked, laughed and played games until it was time to open Kristin's cupboards and get crazy.
A rolling pin? Hey, whatever works. The gals are ready to ring in the new year.
The guys look more like they are going out to commit a crime, don't you think?
BaNg, BAnG, BanG! Happy 2010!
Whiled pots and pans were banging and fireworks lit the sky, I thought a brisk snow angel would be a nice touch....maybe even the beginning of a new tradition. Guess who didn't think twice before laying down in the snowy night and waving their arms and legs all about???? Thanks Diann for the perfect snow angel.
Just as planned, Karissa slept most the night in a quite room. However, when she woke up at about 11:50 pm to Kristin testing out which pots and pans sounded the best, she did not want to party. She wanted mommy for a little mid-night snack....
Rumor has it that Brooke made it until midnight, but sacked out shortly thereafter.
Seth was awake when we called at 11:50 to let the kiddos know that it was time to get their silly spray and noise makers and head to the front yard, however he never made it. The sandman visited him mere moments before midnight and he missed it all. He entered my bedroom with a sad face on the next morning to let me know he did not get to spray his silly spray. I told him he could do it right now, and he said he wanted to do it in the dark, so we waited until dark the next night and watched him spray his little heart out. Maybe next year you can stay up a little longer Seth.
Blake saw the new year come in and by looking at his face, he still had some energy left.
Kenz was a wonderful babysitter and as always, she did a WONDERFUL job. The kids always amazed us when we leave them alone. They seem to get along better when we are not there. Thanks McKenzie!
Yes, I do believe I like our newest tradition....New Year's Eve being an "Adults Only" Evening!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Your friend with the curly hair...I will take one of her hair...on my head. Thank you :)

Amanda said...

Ha ha! I got a laugh out of your comments on the guys! They definitely look like they are up to no good! What a fun party. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

How fun! When we were out blowing our horns we heard you guys banging on your pots and pans! Ha ha ha!

Tanner and Kristin said...

So fun! The kidless part was a smart move...I'm thinking that and snow angels should definitely be a new tradition. Next year's snow angel is up to you!! If Melissa heard us banging pots, I wonder what my neighbors were thinking?!?

Diann said...

You guys are the best!! There isn't anyone else that I would rather make a SNOW Angel with!! Thanks for the Good Food, Fun and the kidless night!! You guys are the BEST!! Love Ya Bunches!!!!! Can't wait until next year!!!

The Smith's said...

Alisa, This post just cracked me up several days ago when I first read it and just had to come back to post a comment. Were you DRINKING on New Years! I hope that the house you went to kid-free was next door! All the kids left at home with a 9 year old! That cracked me up and had me busting up! =) You are a brave one! We can't wait to see you guys in less than a week now~ we can already taste that Bajios Salad. It will have to be on the menu more than once this time! See you guys very soon. And can you pick us up at the airport? McKenzie can watch all the kids at home right??? Just poking you again! =) Gent