Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Piece of Cake?!?!?

Happy Birthday to the Relief Society! Again this year, I was asked to make the cakes for the Relief Society birthday party. Of course I said "yes", because I love to decorate cakes. They said the colors were purple and pink, purses, and girly, girly, girly. So that is how I planned to decorate the three cakes. I had several friends from the ward come over and help while we drank many a Diet Coke from Sonic. :)

We made a HUGE butter cream cupcake cake with little flower
cupcakes surrounding it (girly, girly, girly).
We made a pink purse out of butter cream and fondant accents
(complete with all the things you'd find inside a purse...lipstick,
cell phone, car keys, and a compact).
And last but not least a pink and purple topsy-turvy cake
(to which Blake wanted to know why I keep making the same
kind of cake). Why? Because I think they are fun to make and
I like cutting and placing fun shapes and twirlies on top!
So, after two plus days of buying, baking, assembling, and decorating I loaded them into the car for transport. I drove about 2 miles an hour all the way to the church which is NOT very far away. I didn't stop for stop signs or anything....at two miles an hour, I looked both ways and coasted around all corners, curves, and possible hazards. Any car who happened to get behind me was surely frustrated. As I entered the parking lot I heard something fall against my back door. OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO I thought to myself. Hopefully it was just the twirlies on top that fell. I didn't even pull into a parking spot. I simply glided into the first opening available and took three spots because I was not going to angle my car any more. I got out, walk around to the back and looked in the window. Yikes! The entire top layer of the topsy-turvy cake was off and the bottom two layers and glass cake pedestal were tipped on their side on top of the purse cake!!! Could it be any worse? I opened the back of the car ready to catch it as it rolled out into my arms (like groceries usually do). Luckily it didn't roll. With my hands shaking in disbelief, I tried to re-assemble the cake the best I could and placed the twirlies in different spots than originally planned so as to hide a small portion of the damage. Luckily, to most of the party goers, the damage was unnoticeable. But to me, it was devastating. So what is the moral to the story? Decorating cakes is fun but transporting them is definitely NOT A PIECE OF CAKE!!!

3 comments:

The Smith's said...

wow those are awesome cakes. You should go intothe cake business. Transporting is hard and I amsorry that happened after all that work, but it seems like it still worked out. Nikki

Cody said...

Sorry to peek at your blog. I noticed it on Kristin's blog. Hope that's okay. I just couldn't not comment on your cute, adorable cakes. You are one talented girl! Can you really eat them????

John and Alisa said...

I do the same thing. It's kinda hard to know if people you know have blogs or not unless you "run" into them from someone else's site. Yep, it's especially easy to eat them if they just made you mad (like the one that tipped over).